Cosmetic Dermatology from U.S. Dermatology Partners
What Is Cosmetic Dermatology?
Looking to improve and recover your skin’s youthful appearance?
As we age, our skin naturally loses collagen and elasticity. At the same time, repetitive movements and expressions can create facial wrinkles. In addition to comprehensive medical procedures, dermatologists also provide a wide range of minimally-invasive, low impact treatments designed to address a number of aesthetic desires to help you look and feel your best.
While many conditions from unwanted hair and tattoos to wrinkles and rosacea may not be physically harmful, they can be uncomfortable and even cause emotional distress. Cosmetic dermatology offers a wide range of cosmetic surgery and non-surgical services focused on giving you the results you want without the pain, worry and downtime.
Cosmetic dermatology focuses on aesthetic issues such as skin tone and overall appearance.
Cosmetic Dermatology: Injections, Dermal Fillers & Soft Tissue Fillers
Injectable dermal and soft tissue fillers fill creases in the skin with another substance to restore volume.
Dermal and soft tissue fillers, sometimes called “injectable wrinkle fillers,” are much cheaper than a facelift and a great way to smooth out lines and wrinkles on your face. There are many different kinds of fillers on the market today and they each work in different ways. Different wrinkles may respond better to different fillers.
Unlike Botox injections, which work by relaxing the muscle under the wrinkle, injectable dermal and soft tissue fillers fill creases in the skin with another substance to restore volume. Fillers can also be used to add volume to cheeks, hands and lips, giving them a more youthful appearance.
Most procedures are easy and fast, and results last for months. As with any procedure, there are some risks including allergic reaction, as well as redness, swelling and bruising at the injection site.
It is important to educate yourself on the different types of fillers and always have them injected by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Popular types of wrinkle fillers used today include:
- Botox – An anti-wrinkle treatment that works by relaxing the muscle under the wrinkle, injectable dermal and soft tissue fillers fill creases in the skin with another substance to restore volume.
- Dysport – An anti-wrinkle treatment that works by blocking nerve signals to the muscles underneath wrinkles and relaxing them.
- Kybella – A non-human and non-animal formulation designed to treat fat on the upper neck, commonly known as a “double chin,” by destroying fat cells.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers – The most popular type of filler. Results last for several months to 2 years.
Synthetic Fillers – These fillers include synthetic substances and have a longer-lasting effect. Sometimes the effects can even be permanent.
Collagen Fillers – These early fillers, some of them synthetic, have been improved and produce very natural looking results.
Autologous Fillers – Fillers that use fat from your own body to create semi-permanent results. Fat is surgically removed, treated and injected.
To determine which treatment is right for you, consult with your doctor.
Cosmetic Dermatology: Skin Resurfacing & Rejuvenation
CO2 fractional resurfacing removes wrinkles and blemishes.
There are many treatments available today to help your skin look its very best. In addition to facials and chemical peels, dermatologists now provide a number of services to exfoliate and even out the surface of your skin.
Available skin treatments at U.S. Dermatology Partners include:
- CO2 laser restoration, which uses a laser (rather than chemicals or physical exfoliation) to vaporize the top layers of skin and reveal younger, brighter skin underneath.
- Dermaplaning, a physical exfoliation procedure that triggers cell regeneration and allows products to better penetrate skin.
- Fraxel, which uses fractional laser technology to help restore skin to a smoother, fresher texture with improved tone, smaller pores, elimination of brown spots, diminished acne and surgical scars, and reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
- IPL Photo Rejuvenation, a skin treatment that uses intense pulsed light to remove the effects of photoaging such as wrinkles, textures and spots.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing, which uses laser technology to gently and effectively resurface your skin, improving texture and tone with minimal risks and no discomfort.
- Laser vein elimination, a minimally invasive procedure used to treat blood vessel malformations including spider veins and superficial variscose veins.
- Microdermabrasion, an effective and virtually painless procedure for superficial skin resurfacing that exfoliates dead and damaged cells and stimulates blood flow, enhancing cell renewal and collagen growth.
- Microneedling, also known as Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), is an innovative aesthetic procedure for the treatment of the appearance of fine lines, acne scars and the skin’s texture, tone and color.
- Omnilux, an innovative non-invasive light therapy treatment that improves and repairs skin cells without any pain, discomfort or injections.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is a non-surgical method of skin rejuvenation that uses your own blood to improve the appearance of facial tissue.
- ProFractional Therapy, which uses a laser to create small, microspherical holes in the surface of your skin to “aerate” or thicken your tissue and stimulate natural collagen growth.
- Skin lightening, a process used for people who want to lighten certain areas of skin that are affected by such things as melasma, age spots or even freckles.
- Spectra laser peel, a 3-step treatment to reduce fine lines, minimize the look of scars, combat acne and reduce the size of pores.
- Tattoo removal, which uses laser technology to gently remove ink from beneath the surface of the skin.
- Thermi RF, a new FDA-approved device that allows for specific heating and tightening of the tissues through a tiny pinhole.
If you’re considering a cosmetic dermatology procedure, please ensure that you choose your doctor carefully, as it’s essential that the person performing the procedure is trained, licensed and experienced. Dermatologists offer a unique advantage of specialized training, skill and experience combined with convenience, comfort and a state-of-the-art facility.
Cosmetic Dermatology for Fat Reduction
A body contouring treatment damages and then removes fat.
There are many different technologies on the market today to reduce, destroy and “suck” fat from your abdomen, thighs, buttocks, neck, chin, upper arms and back. From traditional liposuction to tumescent liposuction, which is even safer and more controlled, today’s procedures are more effective and less invasive than ever before. Available procedures include:
- Body contouring, a non-surgical way of reducing fat with ultra-low temperatures to freeze it off or ultrasonic waves and radio frequencies to melt it away.
- Liposuction, a type of cosmetic surgery used to break up and “suck” unwanted fat from various parts of the body.
- Tumescent liposuction, the most common type of liposuction used today, uses a large amount of fluid injected into fatty tissue layers to improve the safety and effectiveness of the treatment.
Surgical Cosmetic Dermatology Procedures
Skin checks are performed on patients before cosmetic surgery.
In addition to non-surgical procedures, there are a number of safe, surgical options to help you achieve your cosmetic goals and look your best. Some of the procedures we provide include:
- Blepharoplasty, also known as “eyelid surgery” or an “eyelid lift,” is performed to remove excess skin and fat in the upper eyelids.
- Mini necklift, also known as tumescent liposuction, is the most popular non-invasive surgical procedure to improve the overal appearance of the chin, cheek and jowls with platysma muscle plication.
- The SafeLift facelift, a minimally invasive procedure developed by Dr. Malouf in our North Texas offices. A Safelift facelift lifts and tightens loose skin and removes fat deposits in the middle to lower face and neck.
- Plastic surgery procedures, such as breast augmentation or rhinoplasty, are offered by Dr. Bortnick at our Leawood location.
Cosmetic Dermatology for Hair Loss and Hair Removal
Whether you want more hair – or less hair – we have you covered. There are many procedures to restore hair for both men and women, as well as treatments to remove unwanted hair permanently.
*Results may vary by individual