No one is impervious to the way that time changes the look and feel of skin. Fortunately, skin laxity is one of the many concerns related to aging that dermatologists can help patients manage. According to Dr. Jennifer Holman of Center for Aesthetic and Laser Medicine in Tyler, Texas, “As we age, our skin can begin to sag. The loose droopy appearance can make some people feel self-conscious. For many years, surgical intervention was the only viable option to address this concern. Today, we offer numerous non-surgical skin tightening options that allow people to restore their confidence along with their youthful appearance.” In this blog, Dr. Holman walks through the benefits of non-surgical skin tightening and reviews the available treatment options at U.S. Dermatology Partners.
What Are the Benefits of Non-Surgical Skin Tightening?
When it comes to non-surgical skin tightening, Dr. Holman says, “Age leads to slowed production in collagen and elastin. These are the proteins that give your skin its tight, youthful, firmness. Additionally, age leads to slower skin cell turnover and other changes that can cause the skin to become thinner. Combined, these changes in skin health can cause laxity or sagging. When used correctly, non-surgical skin tightening options halt and can sometimes reverse these age-related changes.”
Some of the many benefits of non-surgical skin tightening options include:
- Tighter, more youthful-looking skin with little to no downtime, especially compared to surgical options
- Improvement in the appearance of mild to moderate skin laxity with little to no risk for scarring
- Minimally invasive, non-surgical skin tightening treatments have significantly fewer associated risks and side effects
- These procedures can usually be performed in an hour or less without a need for hospitalization, anesthesia, and other medical necessities common for surgical skin tightening treatments
- The lifting and firming effects of non-surgical skin tightening can often last for a year or longer before additional treatment is needed
Who Is a Good Candidate for Non-Surgical Skin Tightening?
Like all dermatologic procedures, non-surgical skin tightening isn’t the best option for every patient. Some patients who would not be the ideal clients for non-surgical skin tightening options include:
- Expectant or nursing mothers
- Those with advanced or severe skin laxity
- Those who take certain medications or who have been diagnosed with certain medical conditions
- Those who have previously had adverse reactions to the recommended treatment
- Patients who are prone to abnormal scar formation, including keloid scars
To determine if you’re a candidate for non-surgical skin tightening, you should partner with a board-certified dermatologist who can review your specific situation and help you find treatment options to meet your needs.
What Areas Can Be Treated with Non-Surgical Skin Tightening?
According to Dr. Holman, “One of the many benefits of non-surgical skin tightening is that it can be utilized to improve the appearance of loose skin almost anywhere. A dermatologist can help you find the right non-surgical skin tightening treatment to address loose skin on just about any part of the body.”
Some areas that can be addressed by non-surgical skin tightening include:
- Face (jaw, chin, and eyelids)
- Neck and chest
What Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Options Are Available?
There are numerous options for non-surgical skin tightening. Dr. Holman says, “The right non-surgical skin tightening option will depend in large part on the individual’s needs, their experience with skin or whole-body procedures, health history, genetics, and a variety of other variables. During a treatment consultation, your dermatologist will examine the area you’re concerned about carefully. Then, they’ll review the available treatments that could address the specific concerns.”
Some of the top recommendations for non-surgical skin tightening include:
- Dermal & Soft Tissue Fillers – A range of products that are injected below the skin’s surface to plump up and smooth out lines and wrinkles. In some cases, they can be used to address mild skin laxity, especially in sensitive facial areas around the eyes and mouth.
- Kybella – This injectable treatment was designed specifically to improve the appearance of skin laxity and excess fat below the chin.
- QWO Cellulite Injectable – This non-surgical skin tightening option addresses pitting, dimpling, and excess skin related to cellulite, specifically in the areas around the buttocks.
- Sculptura – Another injectable treatment option that addresses the appearance of deep wrinkles and facial folds. It also increases natural collagen and elastin production.
- Fractional RF with Pixel8 – Using radiofrequency energy, the Fractional RF with Pixel8 delivers tighter, smoother-looking skin across numerous areas of the body.
- PlasmaMD – Used to address skin laxity on the face and body, PlasmaMD utilizes an innovative handheld tool that emits plasma energy to destroy and remove the outer layers of skin. This improves the appearance of loose skin while jumpstarting the natural production of collagen and elastin.
- Profound – This non-surgical procedure combines microneedling and radiofrequency technology to tighten and smooth skin.
- Thermage FLX – This cosmetic dermatology procedure offers skin tightening and wrinkle reduction on the face, neck, and body.
- CALM Glow (WiQO PRX-T33) – This innovative procedure delivers the skin smoothing and firming results possible with chemical peels without peeling the skin. This means a decreased risk for redness, irritation, and inflammation compared to traditional skin peel options.
- Microneedling – These procedures work by creating microscopic injuries to the skin’s surface that jumpstart the healing process and encourage the production of collagen and elastin.
- IPL Photo Rejuvenation – This innovative treatment technology uses light energy to stimulate collagen and elastin production as well as constrict the blood vessels to improve the smoothness and elasticity of the skin.
- Vivace – This cosmetic procedure is a combination of Microneedling and readiofrequency that improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles without major downtime or recovery.
Are There Risks Associated with Non-Surgical Skin Tightening?
The risks associated with non-surgical skin tightening will vary depending on the individual and the specific treatment. Most side effects will subside or fully resolve themselves within a few hours to one day following treatment. Even the most intense side effects are usually resolved within one week.
Some of the common side effects associated with non-surgical skin tightening include:
- Swelling and inflammation
- Mild to moderate skin irritation
- Bruising or mild aches and pain at treatment sites
Burns, infections, numbness, allergic reaction, and muscle spasms or weakness may also occur, but these symptoms are very rare.
Ready to Get Started?
If you’re interested in learning more about your options for non-surgical skin tightening, don’t hesitate to reach out to a U.S. Dermatology Partners location near you. With offices in numerous states, we can help patients in most areas achieve their cosmetic dermatology goals. When you’re ready to get started, it only takes a few minutes to complete our online scheduling request form. Once we receive this form, a member of a local U.S. Dermatology Practice will be in touch to finalize the details of your upcoming visit.
Find a location near me