Sagging skin on the face can be a telltale sign of age, rapid weight loss, sun damage, or other bodily changes. But, whatever the cause, if you’re unhappy with the way sagging skin on your face has changed your appearance, a trip to the dermatologist may be in order. According to Dr. Jennifer Holman of U.S. Dermatology Partners in Tyler, Texas, “Many of my patients want to talk about how to tighten the skin on their face, and they’re worried that an invasive surgical facelift procedure is their only option. Today, there are numerous, conservative treatment options to help improve the appearance of sagging skin. Additionally, there are at-home treatments that can help to prevent facial sagging.” Keep reading to learn a bit more from Dr. Holman about how to tighten skin on the face, and contact your board-certified dermatologist to find out more.
Who is a Good Candidate for Facial Skin Tightening Treatments?
When it comes to good candidates for face tightening, Dr. Holman says, “Just like any other cosmetic dermatologic treatment, you should always consult with a skilled dermatologist to find the right treatment option. Many medi-spas and practitioners who aren’t dermatologists now offer cosmetic dermatology treatments, but a dermatologist is the only medical professional specifically trained to understand skin health and provide effective treatments that meet your individual needs. A dermatologist will ensure they recommend the most conservative procedure to deliver the desired result.” Good candidates for facial skin tightening treatments include those who:
- Have tried at-home treatments and didn’t see the desired results
- Are not pregnant or nursing
- Have mild to moderate sagging that is becoming more severe
- Want to tighten sagging skin now before it becomes more pronounced
Types of Skin Tightening Procedures
If you’ve noticed skin sagging, it’s best to get started with treatment sooner rather than later. The milder the skin sagging, the more conservative the treatment your dermatologist will recommend to improve the appearance of sagging skin. Some of the options available from U.S. Dermatology Partners include:
- Chemical peels – A conservative treatment that tightens the skin and improves the appearance of very minimal skin sagging. This treatment uses chemicals to remove the dead skin cells, prompting the production of new, healthy skin cells.
- Laser skin resurfacing – A treatment that removes the outer layers of skin and stimulates the production of collagen in the deeper layers, tightening skin and improving the overall skin tone and texture. We offer the following laser skin resurfacing treatments:
- Microneedling – Like laser and radiofrequency technology, microneedling works by stimulating collagen production. Microneedling uses small gauge needles to create microscopic injuries, jumpstarting the healing process, which increases the production of collagen.
- Botox – A neurotoxin injection that can help improve the appearance of mild wrinkles, sagging, and folds in the skin due to repetitive muscle movements.
- Kybella – An injectable solution composed of deoxycholic acid specifically formulated to address improve the appearance of submental fat and sagging skin beneath the chin.
- Plastic Surgery – Typically only recommend when more conservative cosmetic dermatology procedures aren’t effective, plastic surgery involves removing excess skin and pulling back sagging skin. In addition to general plastic surgery, we offer the following types of surgical procedures to improve the appearance of sagging skin:
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid lifts)
- Radiofrequency treatment – Radiofrequency (RF) waves target deep layers of skin, stimulating collagen production without impacting the surface layers of skin. U.S. Dermatology Partners offers the following RF treatments:
Vivace – An Innovative Skin Tightening Procedure
Vivace is one of the latest and most innovative skin tightening treatments. It’s a conservative, non-surgical solution for skin sagging that combines microneedling and radiofrequency technologies, delivering all the benefits of both of these procedures for improved overall results that last longer than other similar treatments. Best of all, this treatment requires little to no downtime and has very mild side effects.
What Causes Skin Sagging & Can I Prevent It?
The most common cause of skin sagging is slower collagen production as we age. Collagen is a protein in our bodies that keeps the skin looking smooth and youthful. In addition to giving our skin its youthful vitality and elasticity, collagen also holds together muscles and bone tissue. When collagen production decreases with time, our skin can look saggy and loose. In addition to decreased collagen production, other factors contribute to skin sagging, including:
- Frequent or prolonged sun exposure
- Rapid weight loss, including post-pregnancy weight loss
- Poor diet
- Smoking or tobacco use
By completing a daily skincare routine as instructed by your dermatologist and avoiding risk factors for skin sagging that are within your control, you will decrease the chances of developing saggy skin or at least postpone the development. Some at-home treatment options to stave off sagging skin include:
- Topical creams – Talk to your dermatologist about topical creams and serums that contain antioxidants (vitamins C, B, and E), retinols (vitamin A), hyaluronic acid, lactic acid, glycolic acid, peptides, and collagen that may help you prevent sagging and improve your overall skin health.
- Supplements – Oral collagen supplements can help people maintain more youthful levels of collagen production. Make sure to consult your dermatologist and physician before taking any medications.
- Staying hydrated & eating right – Drinking plenty of water and eating a nutrient-rich diet will keep your skin moisturized and healthy from the inside out.
- Wear sunscreen – Damage from the sun’s UVA/B rays is the leading cause of accelerated signs of aging, including fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and yes, sagging skin. Wearing sunscreen every day, even when you won’t spend much time outdoors, significantly minimizes the effects of sun damage.
Schedule Your Consultation at U.S. Dermatology Partners Today
If you’re interested in finding out more about options to tighten the skin on your face, reach out to the nearest U.S. Dermatology Partners location to schedule a consultation. Our board-certified dermatologists are knowledgeable and highly skilled. They can answer your questions, examine your skin, and help you find the right treatment to reduce sagging and get you back to looking and feeling your very best. When you’re ready to get started, simply complete our online scheduling request form, and one of our practice teams will be in touch to finalize the details of your appointment.
Find a location near me