Who experiences acne:
- Infants: Mothers can pass hormones to a newborn during the birth process.
- Teenagers: Acne can start for some as early as ten years old, when puberty hormones begin.
- Young adults: Acne can last through the teens and twenties.
- Adults: 20 percent of all adults have moderate to severe acne. In addition, many women will get acne into their 30s and 40s.
What causes acne:
- Puberty hormones. During this time, hormone levels rise, which cause skin glands to start making more sebum (oil). When the oils mix with dead skin cells it can clog pores. Bacteria can grow, causing swelling, redness, and pus.
- Certain medications: Corticosteroids can cause acne.
- Endocrine system conditions: Polycystic ovary syndrome and Cushing’s syndrome can cause acne outbreaks.
- Changing hormones at any age.
What doesn’t cause acne:
- Poor diet: If you have acne, avoiding chocolate will not help.
- Poor hygiene
If you are interested in learning more about the services and treatments we offer, contact Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia Centreville. We assist patients of all ages in our state-of-the-art facility. We provide medical and cosmetic dermatology solutions to men and women at both our Centreville and Sterling locations. Our Centreville location can be reached at (703) 222-2773 and is conveniently located in Suite #301 at 13880 Braddock Road. We accept new patients who are ready for quality, comprehensive dermatological care.