When it comes to the treatment of acne, patients in the Centreville, VA area are often seeking the care an experienced professional in a comprehensive skin care center. At Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, now a part of U.S. Dermatology Partners, we are dedicated to assisting patients in the Centreville area with their skin care concerns.
What is acne?
Acne affects the skin and is caused by the sebaceous glands. These glands can become clogged, infected, and inflamed and result in pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and pustules on the skin. Acne can develop anywhere on the body but is often seen in the facial area in patients of all ages and genders.
What are some common myths about acne?
- Tanning reduces active acne. There are no links between sun exposure and acne. However, excessive sun exposure can result in drying of the skin, causing the body to naturally expel more oil—which in turn, can make acne worse. Additionally, many patients who are using certain topical or oral medications for their acne need to closely watch their sun exposure. It is best for patients to protect their skin from the sun with a broad spectrum high SPF sunscreen every day, and reduce sun exposure that can result in future problems such as an increased risk of skin cancer.
- Washing your face more often will clear up acne and prevent breakouts. While washing the face with a mild cleanser every day is a wonderful way to remove excess oil and surface dirt, doing so too often can cause dryness and irritation that can make acne worse. Washing the skin two times a day is sufficient, and patients should pat their skin dry, not rub or scrub. Patients should also take great care in making sure they are not using toners or other topical products on their skin that can dry it out, such as those high in alcohol.
- Teenagers are the only ones who get acne. This is not true! Though many teenagers struggle with acne due to changes in their hormones, adult acne is still a significant issue for many of our patients who are in their later years. Even babies can get acne! It is important for patients to know that this condition affects all skin types, genders, ages, and ethnicities.
- Make a pimple go away faster by popping it. Patients are encouraged to leave their pimples alone and avoid popping them. This is because this pushes out bacteria from inside of the pimple that can infect the surrounding skin and make it red and inflamed. Additionally, popping a pimple may also cause permanent scarring on the skin, including pits and dents that can last forever
- Use more medication to prevent breakouts. It is important that patients use the appropriate topical medications on their skin and not use the product more than is directed. This is because many of these products have ingredients such as salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide which can dry and irritate the skin if used too much. This, in turn, can irritate active acne and make a condition worse. Instead, patients should be careful in monitoring how much of their topical medications they are using each day and stick to the directed instructions given by their doctor.
- Acne can be cured. Acne is a chronic condition that will often require a lifetime of treatment. It is important for patients to connect with a dermatologist they know and trust to help them control the condition with preventive treatments.
If you are interested in learning more about the services and treatments we offer, contact Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia Centreville. We assist patients of all ages in our state-of-the-art facility. We provide medical and cosmetic dermatology solutions to men and women at both our Centreville and Sterling locations. Our Centreville location can be reached at (703) 222-2773 and is conveniently located in Suite #301 at 13880 Braddock Road. We accept new patients who are ready for quality, comprehensive dermatological care.