What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common skin condition typically seen with fair-skinned adults ages 30 to 50 that causes redness, papules, pustules, and swelling. Unlike acne, however, there are no blackheads. Self-diagnosis and treatment are not recommended as rosacea can last for years and rarely reverses itself. If left untreated, rosacea can become worse and more difficult to treat. Although it can vary in severity, we know rosacea can be distressing, frustrating, and embarrassing. We’re here to help.
The first step to the treatment of rosacea is identifying it and working to control it using the tips below. We will then work with you to target treatments to your individual needs, concerns, and lifestyle.
At our Austin, Texas dermatology clinic, we have many methods of treating rosacea including:
- Oral medications
- Topical medications
- Cortisone creams
- Laser treatment
- Pulsed light treatment
Tips for Managing Rosacea
- Avoid triggers including spicy foods, emotional stress, hot baths, caffeine, hot drinks, and alcoholic beverages. Keep a diary of flushing episodes so you can track the additional triggers unique to you.
- Protect your skin from the sun by limiting exposure and seeking shade when possible, using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and wearing hats.
- Steer clear of extreme hot and cold temperatures.
- When exercising, do so in a cool environment and do not overheat.
- Avoid facial and cosmetic products that contain alcohol. Many over-the-counter skin products contain this ingredient and should be avoided.
- Do not massage, scrub, or rub your face.
- Try green-tinted makeup to mask the redness.
About U.S. Dermatology Partners Brodie Lane
At U.S. Dermatology Partners Brodie Lane, formerly Evans Dermatology, our team of medical experts provides the very latest in dermatology care for the entire family, along with state-of-the-art treatment for skin diseases. As the leading treatment center of psoriasis in Central Texas and the largest dermatology practice serving South Austin, Texas we focus on caring for your medical needs including acne, psoriasis, eczema, and skin cancer, while also providing high-quality cosmetic services. Our patients enjoy compassionate and efficient care in our comfortable offices.