At Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, now a part of U.S. Dermatology Partners, we are dedicated to assisting patients in the Centreville area with their skin care concerns. A skin cancer diagnosis can be unnerving for patients to hear. Skin cancer is currently one of the most commonly treated forms of cancer. While this sounds very concerning, there is good news. Many cases of skin cancer can be avoided through daily use of sun protection.
The majority of skin cancers begin as a result of too much UV exposure. This can be from sunlight or tanning beds. And while many people think of melanoma when it comes to skin cancer, basal cell is by far the most frequently diagnosed type of skin cancer.
Understanding basal cell carcinoma
Basal cells are located in the lowest part of the epidermis. When cancer occurs in these cells it’s almost always contained to a local area and rarely spreads. While the rate of mortality with this type of cancer is quite low, it can be extremely damaging to the surface of the skin and your appearance.
In addition to minimizing UV exposure, understanding the signs of basal cell carcinoma can help identify the disease early and allow for less invasive treatment.
Some abnormalities to watch out for include:
- A shiny, scar-like area which can indicate an invasive tumor growing underneath the surface of the skin.
- Moles or lumps that appears shiny. They may range in color from back or brown to reddish or pink hues.
- A growth that is pink in color, with raised edges that appears indented in the center. The growth may also appear crusty on the surface.
- An itchy, red, irritated patch of skin.
- Recurrent sores that don’t completely heal or come back shortly after healing. These sores may bleed or become crusty.
If you are interested in learning more about the services and treatments we offer, contact Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia Centreville. We assist patients of all ages in our state-of-the-art facility. We provide medical and cosmetic dermatology solutions to men and women at both our Centreville and Sterling locations. Our Centreville location can be reached at (703) 222-2773 and is conveniently located in Suite #301 at 13880 Braddock Road. We accept new patients who are ready for quality, comprehensive dermatological care.