At Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, now a part of U.S. Dermatology Partners, we are dedicated to helping individuals achieve the results they desire and offer a variety of treatments including PRP therapy.
What is PRP exactly?
Platelet rich plasma is concentrated blood plasma. It contains almost five times the number of platelets found in your normal circulating blood. Platelets are part of our blood to promote healing and aid in blood clotting. They contain growth factors that help cells in our bodies regenerate. We take blood from you, then it’s placed in a centrifuge and spun for approximately fifteen minutes. This separates the regenerating platelet component from the blood. The platelet rich plasma, applied around your damaged hair follicles, assists the body’s wound healing mechanism, stimulating the growth of hair follicles.
Reasons for hair loss:
- Pattern baldness: This is the most common type. Through each growth cycle, the hair increasingly becomes rooted superficially, causing it to fall out easily. Researchers believe heredity plays a large role.
- Scarring alopecia: Inflammation of the hair follicle characterizes this. This damages the hair follicle and can cause the hair to fall out.
- Alopecia areata: A possible autoimmune disorder. Researchers think some are genetically prone to this or a viral infection can contribute.
- Telogen effluvium: Hair suddenly falls out. It usually occurs when there is an extreme emotional or physical shock to the system.
- Traction alopecia: This occurs with people who pull their hair too tight during styling. The roots tend to weaken.
If you are interested in PRP therapy, contact Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia Centreville. We assist patients of all ages in our state-of-the-art facility. We provide medical and cosmetic dermatology solutions to men and women at both our Centreville and Sterling locations. Our Centreville location can be reached at (703) 222-2773 and is conveniently located in Suite #301 at 13880 Braddock Road. We accept new patients who are ready for quality, comprehensive dermatological care.